Day 365 – That’s All She Wrote

23 Feb

So, it’s here.

I’ve met my goal of decluttering something a day for 365 days. It feels like an occasion on which I should reflect. I guess that’s what I’ll do.

I decided to start by going back and reading my About This Blog page (which I have never changed). Not to sound to goofy but, it was all there all the time. To quote myself, (Oh lord, seriously?)  “This blog was born out of the idea that if I let go of some extra stuff around the house, things might be a little more simple.  I even might be able to enjoy the stuff that is left a little more. The gist of it is, I am going to toss something everyday for a year and see if things lighten up around here.”

Things are simpler. I don’t spend much time putting things away at night. Ten minutes usually does it. I love sitting to watch T.V. in a clean room with no dirty socks on the couch or microscopic toys to step on. Why DO they make the toys so small? I don’t spend time rearranging piles of stuff to fit in limited spaces. I can usually see the top of my dresser. Nine times out of ten I have counter space available to cook. Not bad.

My desk is still a mountain of papers, a tribute to hoarders. Some things will never change. But still, not bad overall.

I do like my stuff more, the stuff that is left anyway. I can see the stuff I like and enjoy it. It’s not buried.  I really don’t regret getting rid of any of it. Now and then I do for a moment, then it’s gone. I can’t even remember anything at the moment that I wish I still had.

I have way more time. Shopping (still conquering this one)  and rearranging take copious amounts of time. Now I have lots of time for Words with Friends, Pinterest and US magazine. :) Uh, I mean, playing with the kids and cooking nutritious meals. Seriously though, this might be the most surprising benefit and the one  I love most.

Things have lightened up. That is for sure.

So on to my last declutter:

Once upon a time I would have packed these up in a box to save forever. Now, I think, ” Well, she only fit in them for six weeks, half the sparkles have rubbed off and they will look terrible and yellowed in 10 years if I save them.”

Off they go.

And that’s about it. This project is done…

ish.

I’m not going anywhere. I am taking a break, to work on updating my blog and getting the new one off the ground, but in 3 weeks, I’ll see you right here, ’cause there’s still the attic, and have you seen my garage since Christmas? EEK! There is the kid’s closets to deal with, and all those stuffed animals, and the cabinet under the sink, and the back of my van, and the backyard, and the desk (oh the desk)…and…and…and…

It seems there is still quite a way to go.

Thanks for reading my blog. I hope you liked it.  It has been a ton of fun. I hope you come back for  season two, which is where you will see the before and afters.

Until then.

Megan

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

42 Responses to “Day 365 – That’s All She Wrote”

1. Pam February 23, 2012 at 9:12 am #

COngratulations. You’ve helped me start to declutter, thanks for the inspiration. Here is to growth and can’t wait to see what you come up with next!
    Pam recently posted..It is that time of year again………..My Profile

2. The Bearded Iris February 23, 2012 at 10:04 am #

Is it weird that I feel a little tearful right now? Like you’re saying goodbye, even though I know you aren’t really.

I have really enjoyed getting to know you over the course of this year. You’ve really inspired me in so many ways. Truly looking forward to season 2 and beyond!
    The Bearded Iris recently posted..My First Mardi GrasMy Profile

• Megan February 23, 2012 at 10:28 pm #

Thanks. I like the idea of season two. It will be different, but it does mean season 1 is over. It is a little sad.
      Megan recently posted..Day 365 – That’s All She WroteMy Profile

3. joanna @ I Won't Be a Hoarder Too February 23, 2012 at 10:09 am #

congrats!
    joanna @ I Won’t Be a Hoarder Too recently posted..Shopping as my coping skillMy Profile

4. Mary February 23, 2012 at 12:12 pm #

Hi! I know we don’t know each other, but I found your blog awhile ago, and have really enjoyed it. You have inspired me to start the grand process of decluttering. Best of luck with ‘season 2′ and I have you linked in my sidebar, so I will be back to visit :)
    Mary recently posted..around hereMy Profile

• Megan February 23, 2012 at 10:30 pm #

Great. Look forward to seeing you in season two. Thank you for commenting. It really means a lot to me.
      Megan recently posted..Day 365 – That’s All She WroteMy Profile

5. Susanne February 23, 2012 at 2:59 pm #

I’ve never commented but have been reading and following your journey. It’s been inspiring and has made me LOL quite a few times. Thanks for letting us in on it.

6. Lolly February 23, 2012 at 6:29 pm #

Thanks for season one! Your blog has been a great inspiration. I’m looking forward to season two. :)

7. Livin In Duckville February 23, 2012 at 7:38 pm #

Congratulations!!! I am so excited to read the ‘continuing saga’! You too have inspired me to get rid of stuff – even if it was only 1 thing at a time, it was moving OUT of my house. Thanks for inviting us in to your life & clutter!
    Livin In Duckville recently posted..I Need An EMT!My Profile

8. Anne @ Domesblissity February 23, 2012 at 7:51 pm #

I feel like standing on the couch and singing “I Did It My Way”. Congratulations Megan on completing what you set out to do. You’ve been a real inspiration to me (as I just get back from the thrift store with 2 bags full – I didn’t take 2 bags there YIKES). I reall need to knuckle down and get busy doing this. You proved to me it can be done. Looking forward to Volume 2! I am so glad we stumbled across each other and how our friendship has grown.

Much love to you,
    anne xx
    Anne @ Domesblissity recently posted..Buying vs growing your own vegetablesMy Profile

• Megan February 23, 2012 at 10:36 pm #

You are so silly and I love to have you here. You might be the thing I got out of it, a great friend…and the ability to walk across the living room, that too. :)
      Megan recently posted..Day 365 – That’s All She WroteMy Profile

9. Jo H. February 23, 2012 at 9:45 pm #

I’ve been enjoying your posts for awhile now and catching up in the archives, and I’m so glad you’re going to continue. Your sense of humour keeps bringing me back, and I like that you give in detail your thought process on the items you feature. It helps me with my own decisions. Congratulations and looking forward to season two.

• Megan February 23, 2012 at 10:38 pm #

Oh thank you. You might be the first person that ever said anything about the thought process. I have some strange ideas in my head about my stuff, huh? Thanks for reading.
      Megan recently posted..Day 365 – That’s All She WroteMy Profile

10. Megan February 23, 2012 at 10:52 pm #

Wow. Thank you all so much. I am really happy to hear that some people got some degree of inspiration out of my blog. How rewarding, it really means a lot to me. Thanks for letting me know.
    Megan recently posted..Day 365 – That’s All She WroteMy Profile

11. Elizabeth@ReadySetSimplify February 23, 2012 at 11:13 pm #

You are my decluttering hero, Megan! Thanks so much for showing me how it should be done. Really? I have to move things out of the house and not just to a different room? I’m a slow learner.

And I knew that our blogs started around the same time, but I didn’t realize until today just how close. I was just 3 days behind you. :-)

Looking forward to the next chapter!
    Elizabeth@ReadySetSimplify recently posted..Menu Plan for the Week – 2/19 – 2/25My Profile

• Megan February 27, 2012 at 11:17 pm #

I didn’t realize that either. Thanks you for reading and thank you for mentioning me on facebook the other day. I can’t wait to see your projects as they progress.
      Megan recently posted..Day 365 – That’s All She WroteMy Profile

12. Leena February 24, 2012 at 4:35 am #

Congrats! and I can’t wait for the season two!
    Leena recently posted..Squirrel in a glass houseMy Profile

13. Danielle February 24, 2012 at 7:55 pm #

Yaay! Congratulations.

Thank you for inviting us along on your journey.
    Danielle recently posted..Our New NeighborhoodMy Profile

• Megan February 27, 2012 at 11:19 pm #

Thanks. Thanks for guest posting this summer and thanks for reading. I’ll be seeing you around on your blog until I get back to this one.
      Megan recently posted..Day 365 – That’s All She WroteMy Profile

14. Cate February 25, 2012 at 4:18 am #

Congratulations on a year of decluttering! I can’t wait to see what the future holds. And I commend you for getting rid of those shoes. We have a very similar pair that our daughter actually NEVER wore. They’re now serving as stuffed animal shoes, but I hope I can bear to part with them when they no longer serve even that purpose.
    Cate recently posted..My Favorite Pregnancy ProductsMy Profile

• Megan February 27, 2012 at 11:23 pm #

Thank you Cate. I keep checking in with your blog to see if you’ve had that baby yet! Let me know how it goes with the shoes.
      Megan recently posted..Day 365 – That’s All She WroteMy Profile

15. Kristen | The Frugal Girl February 25, 2012 at 10:28 pm #

Hey, congrats on a whole year. That’s a big accomplishment!
    Kristen | The Frugal Girl recently posted..Grocery Spending | Squeaking by.My Profile

• Megan February 27, 2012 at 11:22 pm #

Thank you Kristen, Your’s was the very first blog I ever read and followed. Thank you for answering my questions at the beginning of this blog and thanks for blogging yourself. I still love reading Frugal Girl and I have taken away dozens of ideas from it.
      Megan recently posted..Day 365 – That’s All She WroteMy Profile

16. Mimms February 26, 2012 at 9:42 pm #

*pops the champagne cork* CONGRATS MEGAN, you did it :)
    Looking forward to season 2 and whatever else you come up with, you know I’ll be here :)

17. Dianne February 27, 2012 at 4:31 am #

I can’t wait to witness the next spot of your creation “Megan” I want to be inspired as what others feel in reading your blog. Congratulations and Good luck!
    Dianne recently posted..1300 numbersMy Profile

18. t February 28, 2012 at 6:58 pm #

Yeah, Megan! You did it–and I love(d) watching your progress and being inspired. I have gotten rid of 441 things in my house and I wish I could tell the difference.

19. Becky March 3, 2012 at 11:53 am #

Congrats on this milestone!
    I’ve been enjoying your blog ever since I found it, and look forward to Season Two. :)
    Becky recently posted..Outdated medicationsMy Profile

20. lupra March 3, 2012 at 10:19 pm #

Since I started reading this blog I have managed to declutter quite a lot but I think that now I need to move onto decluttering my mind!
    lupra recently posted..Car breakdown coverMy Profile

21. Maysel03 March 8, 2012 at 12:32 am #

You serve as an inspiration.. Keep doing a great job! :) Congratulation for the excellent job..
    Maysel03 recently posted..Wedding Speech JokesMy Profile

22. Theriz26 March 8, 2012 at 8:40 am #

Hi Megan! i just want to say congratulation for a job well done. You have a great idea of decluttering. This will serve as an inspiration to everyone. Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work!
    Theriz26 recently posted..Happy New Year To All Of You And Hope You Like The Aquarium Fish Photos Here …My Profile

23. Tricia March 9, 2012 at 10:57 am #

Its great being successful on your job..Your such an inspiration to us..Great job!!
    Tricia recently posted..vigorelle australiaMy Profile

24. banclothing March 10, 2012 at 7:17 am #

Thank you for continuing this blog. You are the only reason I got rid of the brand new coffee maker that made shit coffee, the extra stuff from my childhood I didn’t have space for, the clothes I spend good money on but I no longer wore, the 3 duplicate can openers, etc. Without you, I felt too guilty about getting rid of anything. I was well on my way to being a hoarder. I still need inspiration and I truly appreciate that you still have stuff to declutter! I am really thankful you have an additional season. P.S you have some really beautiful furniture I never would have seen before you started decluttering.

25. oc ac March 23, 2012 at 4:52 pm #

I agree together with you 100%. I would question, for one thing, however believe that certainly not really worth referfing to.

26. Erica March 24, 2012 at 1:11 pm #

Really found this post interesting! I’ll be pinning this on pinterest!
    Erica recently posted..How to be ordinaryMy Profile